Friday, June 10, 2011

Flashback Friday - The time I saw the Pixies at Coachella



I'm not a big fanatic about many music groups just one- The Pixies. I love their raw sound and energy and their nonsensical lyrics. There is nothing more cool than a genius of a band that does not take themselves too seriously.

I don't even know why I like them so much. I just "feel them". I feel their energy and I think that how they compose songs is awesome. Like I tell people, they were grunge before that scene ever had a label.

Here is the thing, they were around in the 80's and I never got to see them so I got on my knees and prayed to the woman upstairs. What, no one told you? I said, "Goddess, please let the Pixies play one more time for me. Pretty please."
And being a sucker for childish antics, she said, "o.k".

In 2004,they played at Coachella and I forked over alot of cash to see one band. Sure Radiohead was there as were dozens of other bands but i was there for the Pixies.

It was hot and I was sweaty and I had gone with a "friend" and we weremt talking then but she bartered with me. She drives and I pay for the tix.

I waited in the dessert sun and out comes this old,balding man and a balding drummer and even Joey Santiogo had lost his hair. Kim, (the famale bassist looked older but still very cool.)

Was I going to be dissapointed? I waited for their first note and then the drums to Bone Machine played and I jumped up and down to their amazing music. The crowd was all one organism moving collectively to the vibrations of sound. I lost track of time and I was one with the music.

After they played their last song I walked away thinking, "wow those old people can still rock."

4 comments:

  1. Love the Pixies! I'm sad that I've never seen them but I still rock out hardcore to Gigantic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody love this freaking band and I've never even heard them. =0 I guess I really missed out, huh? I love it when you tell stories of your past because for some reason they remind me a lot of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to go over to youtube and listen to one of their songs. I just love concerts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my friends are HUGE Pixies fans. I didn't even know who they were until I started hanging out with said friends. Your experience at the show sounds like a great one! "Goddess" -you crack me up! :)

    ReplyDelete