Monday, January 28, 2013

Racist Commercial? (see video below)


One of my favorite activities which amuses me to no end is to point out to my friends the most subtle and no so subtle racism in commercials. Why, for example, does the Spanish guitar have to play when the main, Mexican character appears. It happens with Asians also. Remember a little movie in the 80's called the Karate Kid? Every time Mr. Miyagi shared his wisdom with "Daniel Son", a bamboo flute played in the background? How freaking racist is that?

Oftentimes, "Mexican" men are seen as dumb and/or lazy, even when they are asking for your vote. Yes Pedro I will vote for you.  (see Nacho Libre. Every adult male acted or looked retarded) Pollo Loco commercials are especially good at reinforcing the stereotype of the suave Latin Male with the worst stereotypical Hispanic accent.

This brings me to the El Paso commercial below several things to notice:

1- The Kids are NOT even Spanish, native speakers. If you're going to insult us, at least hire REAL Mexicans.
2- Mexicans don't wear bandanas any more. That's old school 70's cholo shit. In fact bikers probably wear bandanas more often than Mexicans.
3- How stereotypical is it to have the mother bring out food in a giant sombrero?
4- Did you catch the little girl enlighten adults with the suggestion that there is more than one way to skin a taco? (You know because Mexicans are dumb)
5- I love how the whole community rejoiced and salsa danced the night away.

I admit that I laughed at all the stereotypes and innuendos in the commercial. This brings me to a bigger question: Can racism be funny? I don't know. I champion myself as a person that believes that political correctness has run amok. At the same time, I laugh at racist shit all the time equally. I'm an equal opportunity offender. A part of me believes that the world is a better place when we can all laugh at each other. Where is the line? I wouldn't know. I'm too dumb to figure it out. (Spanish guitar solo).

What do you think senor?

4 comments:

  1. I think racism in today's society is more prevalent than ever. That being said, I laugh at all stereotypes all the time. Like you, I'm an equal opportunity offender. Hey, we ALL do it, you're lying if you say you don't. You know what bugs the hell out of me? There's this commercial, I don't even know what it's about, but it starts with the typical Mexican/Hispanic mom, calling out to her daughter, to go drinnk her milk. Except she pronounces it "meelk" Because doens't everyone that speaks Spanish, pronounce English words like this? Ugh! I feel like jumpingh into the tv and slapping the woman! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stereotypes and racism are never funny to me. I'm still offended when I get stereotyped based on where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that as long as it is only stereotypes that we find amsuing, and it doesn't influence how we actually TREAT people having a laugh is okay. I frequently point out and laugh at my own incredibly obvious Irishness, and have many friends who do the same for their various stereotypical cultures. It's all in good fun, but I also understand how people can be offended by it. I guess it just depends on the circumstance and the individual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Frito Bandido is alive and well.

    ReplyDelete